Strategies to INCREASE REHOMING rates from shelters and pounds
- Make it easier to adopt a pet, and redirect resources used for screening people wishing to adopt, into preventing intake into shelters and increasing adoptions.
- Increased resources are directed at behaviour modification programs in shelters and pounds that are aimed at saving all treatable animals.
- Shelters and pounds have foster programs to provide care for puppies and kittens too young to be adopted.
- Shelters and pounds have foster programs to provide care and behaviour modification for cats and dogs with behaviour problems.
- Animal welfare agencies and council pounds work closely with rescue groups to maximize the number of dogs and cats released alive.
- All councils and animal welfare agencies are transparent and accountable in their performance, and use standardised criteria for classifying animals.